Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday Faux Flower Soft

Whooo Hoo! It's time for another Tutorial Tuesday! *applause*

Have you always wanted to try Flower Soft but didn't want to pay the price for a full container of just one color?

Well, then this is the tutorial for you! Today, we're going to teach you to make your own Faux Flower Soft!

Ready?? Let's assemble our supplies!


Supplies You Will Need:

Several pieces of styrofoam (tip: The squares are easier to use, than the round balls)
Plastic ziploc baggies (one for each color you plan to make)
Colored inkpad reinkers or alcohol inks (tip: alcohol inks are easier to mix)
Wax paper, or anything to use as a mat for catching your fluffiness


Instructions:

Start out with two pieces of styrofoam, as seen here:




With a piece of styrofoam in each hand, rub the two pieces together over a piece of wax paper, causing the styrofoam to flake off onto your wax paper:




Your pile of fluffiness as I like to call it, should look like this:





Next, place your styrofoam fluffiness into a baggie labeled with the name of your color. Add several drops of your alcohol ink or reinker into the baggie:





Zip the baggie closed and then work the baggie around in your hand to mix the alcohol ink with the styrofoam, until all particles of styrofoam are evenly colored. If you'd like a deeper color, add more of your alcohol ink, and mix again until you get the shade you want.


Here's a pic of the finished product, showing all the colors I made in one sitting. This pic shows my part of the Flowersoft. Two friends helped, and so we split each color three ways. One small baggie goes a long way, since you use only a little of each color at a time.



Now that I've shown you how to make your own Faux Flower Soft, Let's use it on a project.

Place your glue on the part of your project where you want to add texture with flower soft. (Do one color at a time). Sprinkle a little flower soft on, fully covering the glue, then press down lightly with your fingers to help it stick. Let sit a couple minutes, then turn your project over and shake off the excess fluffiness. (Empty the excess back into your baggie, to use later). Repeat this process for each color you want added to your project.

I used the faux flower soft on my card with the duck pond image, adding the faux flower soft to the cattails, grass and part of the feathers on the duck.

And here is the finished card, with the faux flower soft added:


I love the effect the faux flower soft gives!

I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial! We'd love to see what projects you come up with your own faux flower soft!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Sammi this is an INCREDIBLE tutorial. I haven't ever even heard of this. I can't wait to make some of my own flower soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm literally sitting here with my mouth wide open. WOW, I never in a million years would have thought of this. What a super awesome idea...and you could really make it to match your project! What if you added some extract or perfume in with it? For scented flowersoft?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh....I love the idea of a scent. So many creative possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea Sammi! Your tutorial is excellent! I too will be grinding up foam very soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked it ladies! I hope you'll share your project with us once you make yourself some Flower soft! Cg: I love the idea of adding a scent! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you so much for sharing this! I always wanted to use flower soft and this is a great idea to save and still get the same effect.: )

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love this easy way to make flower soft! Plus, cg's idea of adding a scent sounds yummy, how about a chocolate fragrance!! I just might eat the card, LOL.
    Wow, my brain is on overload thinking of the possibilities, sounds like a trip to Michael's very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea love it wil def give it a go
    Jacki xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Tutorial Sammi and I love the idea of making your own - I NEVER need all that's in the little pot they sell it in. Can't wait to make my craft store run!! =)
    Hugs & Happy Days!
    ~Min

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wauw what a great Tutorial Sammi!

    Hugs Amanda

    ReplyDelete